2023 High Council Nominations Received
As members of the High Council gathered on Wednesday, May 24 to make their nominations in this the first stage of the election of the 22nd General of The Salvation Army, there was an air of solemn contemplation and sacred surrender to the Holy Spirit’s leading.
Accepting the nomination to be candidates are:
- Commissioner Lyndon Buckingham (Chief of the Staff)
- Commissioner Merle Heatwole (Territorial Commander, Latin America North)
- Commissioner Kenneth Hodder (National Commander, United States of America)
- Colonel Diana Macdonald (Territorial Commander, Pakistan Territory)
In addition, the following member was nominated but – although humbled and appreciative of the nomination by his fellow High Council members – for varying reasons declined:
- Commissioner Keith Conrad (Zonal leader and International Secretary, Africa Zone, International Headquarters)
With the acceptance of nomination by Commissioner Kenneth Hodder, it has been necessary for him to step down as President to the High Council. A new President has subsequently been appointed – Commissioner Brad Bailey (Territorial Commander, USA Central Territory).
With the acceptance of nomination by Commissioner Merle Heatwole, it has been necessary for him to step down as Chair of the Questions Committee. A new Chair has subsequently been appointed – Commissioner Miriam Gluyas (Territorial Commander, Australia Territory).
The High Council will meet briefly on Thursday morning and then proceedings will pause until Friday morning while the candidates and spouses prepare their speeches and answers to the questions.
Please continue to cover the 2023 High Council in prayer during these sacred and significant days. The High Council members are being deeply encouraged, enriched and blessed through your prayers. For more information and to pray for the 2023 High Council, click here.